- Bettina Arndt’s Order of Australia is further questioned after allegations surface
- Being strip searched in public was one of the most terrifying ordeals of my life
- McKenzie joined gun club mere days before rubber stamping their funding
- What refereeing your kids taught me about our politics
- The local organisation solving homelessness without government help
Brett Kavanaugh. Remember him? Remember the fundraising campaign to save him? Well, a large slice of that money is missing, with neither side quite sure who has it.
Brian Kolfage, the dude who has raised $20 million for Donald Trump’s border wall said that he plans to shift the money into a private company that will build the wall, as the government won’t be able to accept his money. “We are better equipped than our own government to use the donated funds to build an actual wall on the southern border,” he wrote.
Which is neither here nor there, but the private wall company now has at outgoing Secretary of State as part of its staff. What a fine country. Build on the sturdy backs of people who are willing to anonymously throw money at a problem created, even if the money happens to be unaccountable.
However, that nonsense does tend to raise questions about the other crowd-funded campaign that turned the stomach. The GoFundMe campaign for Brett Kavanaugh (Donald’s Supreme Court BUD) raised $600,000, however, a fairly large chunk of it never reached its destination.
The Kavanaugh campaign started in late September of 2018 by John Hawkins, the founder of a conservative news site called Right Wing News, which was banned from Facebook for spreading fake news. The campaign raised over $600,000 “for Brett Kavanaugh’s family to use for security or however they see fit.”
Consider it a kind of douchebag Powerball.
However, Kavanaugh refused to accept money (but accepted the post) because judicial ethics guidelines prohibit him from doing so. Instead, Hawkins decided to donate the money to the Roman Catholics of Washington DC. According to the page, donors had a week to withdraw their funds, but the push raised $488,375, with 11,232 people on board.
Which brings us to the missing $160,000. But, more than two months after the campaign closed, the Archdiocese has checked the letterbox for the cheque, but with no avail. In an email to Quartz on December 21, a spokesperson for the Archdiocese said: “to date, the Archdiocese of Washington has received approximately $322,600 from the Brett Kavanaugh GoFundMe campaign. As the archdiocese has disclosed previously, the funds will be used to support education scholarships and youth activities and sports.”
Per Quartz: “That portion is being held by GoFundMe in case the people who donated it want their money back, Hawkins told Quartz. GoFundMe didn’t answer multiple requests for comment from Quartz. When asked about the discrepancy, Kolfage told Quartz that he just helped raise money, but was not involved in its delivery, and that Hawkins said the donation had been made.”
Conversely, Hawkins claimed that he was also not involved in the delivery, and that the missing amount is in GoFundMe’s hands, which negotiated directly with the Archdiocese. In an email to Quartz, he wrote: “Per GoFundMe, $322,676.71 has been sent to the Archdiocese and the rest is being held to cover potential refunds & chargebacks. GoFundMe and the Archdiocese negotiated the amount for GoFundMe to hang onto until February without me being involved.”
Which is all fine and good, but how about this: A GoFundMe campaign to stop all dodgy GoFundMe campaigns.