- First Nations teen subjected to “brutal police assault” demands justice
- My life needs an undo button – let me explain
- Premier clamps down on ‘illegal’ Black Lives Matter protest
- More mums are blocking their kids on social media
- What the guano wars of the 19th century can teach us about applying science to 2020
While Donald Trump appeared in front of a fake presidential seal that clearly roasted him, the organisers of the function want us to believe it was “nothing malicious”. Ok.
As far as viral images go, Donald Trump standing in front of a false seal, one that seems to have flipped him the bird, is fairly satisfying. For those who missed it, Donald took to the stage of the Marriott Marquis in Washington, delivering a twelve-minute speech to a conservative student group, Turning Point USA. He spoke, the crowd clapped, and on a screen behind him was the image in question.
So, what makes the image so cursed? It’s quite clever, actually. The bald eagle has been substituted with a two-headed eagle, a clear reference to the Russian coat of arms, clearly a reference to Donald’s alleged ties to Russia. There’s also the Soviet-era insignia, with the Hammer and Sickle just below the nape of the bird.