Christian Porter witnessed Morrison’s call to the police commissioner

The Angus Taylor scandal rolls on, as it was confirmed that Christian Porter witnessed the PM’s call to the police commissioner.



Christian Porter has been dragged into the Angus Taylor scandal with the confirmation that Scott Morrison asked him to ‘witness’ his much-maligned phone call to the NSW police commissioner.

The call matters, as we’re still not entirely sure what was said. While both parties have claimed everything is above board, we do not know what was discussed over the two-minute duration.
In the words of Malcolm Turnbull, it pongs of the PM interfering with an open police investigation.
Porter, the highest legal officer is now caught in the scandal, as a spokesperson confirmed that he was present during the entirety of the call.
According to the spokesperson, Mr Porter “was there” and said that Mr Morrison and the Commissioner had given completely accurate accounts of the call.

But according to author Nikki Savva, Porter should asked the PM to hang up the phone. Appearing on the ABC’s Insiders, Savva said: “Porter, as the first law officer of the land … should have grabbed the phone out of his hand and said, ‘Don’t do this, it’s not a good idea’.”

The leader of the opposition, Anthony Albanese took it further, stating: “When you’re the prime minister of the country and one of your cabinet ministers is under police investigation, you don’t ring mobile to mobile.”

Albanese was referring to the nature of the call, which was apparently from his mobile, on a private number, after numerous attempts.

“It’s very clear from the metadata that’s been provided that that is not the case and that’s why the minister tipped out responses late on Friday afternoon, anything to avoid scrutiny…Minister Taylor has had three months to solve this issue, to come into Parliament and just say where the documentation came from. He should do that. He should have done that on day one,” he said.

According to The New Daily, “On the basis of that phone call, the PM told Parliament he would not be standing down Mr Taylor and implied that there was no need to take further action because it was a political referral by the ALP to NSW Police.”


Share via