While a drunk man entered the search for himself this week, he’s not the only one to accomplish such an impressive feat.



Beyhan Mutlu was having quite a night. The 50-year-old from regional Turkey was out drinking with friends and wandered off into the forest. When he didn’t return, his drinking buddies rang the authorities and a search party was cobbled together in order to find him.

According to Turkish channel NTV, when news of the missing man got out, efforts to find him intensified in nearby neighbourhoods, with a large group of volunteers joining the mission.

As the hours ticked by, the search carried on. The group was unable to locate the missing man. Allegedly, the group called out the man’s name for hours without success. Eventually, a voice answered. It came from within the search party itself. It asked, “who are we looking for? I am here.”

VICE reported the incident, writing: “It is unclear how Mutlu found himself in his own search party or how his friends didn’t realise that he was right under their nose the whole time. Police were able to safely escort Mutlu to his home.”

As it turns out, the man had been part of the search party for hours, not knowing that it was him they were looking for. Which sounds dangerously close to the hapless pleas of my therapist, when they ask me to go on a journey of self-discovery.

Hilariously, the exact same thing happened in 2012, after a tourist joined her own search effort in Iceland. Unlike the effort to find Mr Mutlu, this involved the ‘missing’ person taking part in the major mountain search operation to find her, before she eventually admitted to the ‘rescuers’ that she was the person they were looking for.

As The Independent noted, “the bizarre mix up occurred in Iceland’s southern volcanic region near the island’s Eidgja canyon, a remote but popular walking area for visiting tourists. The woman in question was reported to have failed to return to her tour bus.

“The tour company driver waited for an hour. When the woman failed to turn up, he alerted police and search teams were dispatched to the area shortly afterwards. They started combing the barren treeless hillsides looking for a woman described as 5ft 2in and wearing dark clothing.

“The expedition was only called off at 3 am after it emerged that the woman had been on the bus all along and had even participated in the search, having had no idea that she had been reported missing.”

Sveinn Runarsson, the police chief in charge of the rescue, said (presumably after dislodging his retina after rolling his eyes) that “the people on the bus had not been counted correctly”.





Share via